Monday, July 30, 2012

The Call of the Wild

by Lisa Beck



Nature is a healer.

Imagine yourself at the water's edge of a beautiful crystal lake or sea. The sky is deep blue and the trees are gently swaying in the wind. You can hear the waves lapping against the shore, and the birds singing their song. I know we can all imagine this in vivid detail, and I know that we can ease tension and stress in our minds and bodies by the mere thought of being in this place.

We are Nature.


It is easy for us to feel separate from nature. We talk about "environmental" issues as if they are somewhere out there and not a part of us. The next time you take a walk, ride your bike, or lean up against the old oak tree, close your eyes and realize that you are one with all of it. Breathe in appreciation for this realization.

Nature + Enviroment = People, Trees, Animals, Bugs, Planes, Roads, Lily Pads, Toads...all of it.

Nature brings in Presence

Sometimes when I feel as if my world is moving too fast, I step out into my garden and sit. I focus on my roses or the big beautiful leaves of our banana tree. I watch them and notice their beauty and their being-ness. I watch them move and flutter with the breeze, and I notice the butterflies and bees buzz about. I gaze at the foothills beyond the city and I watch the seagulls pass overhead.

I immediately come into the present moment, and my world stops spinning.

I can't tell you how many times in a week a little voice inside my head says, "back away from the computer, Lisa. Go for a walk. Breathe in the fresh air. Your work won't disintegrate if you leave it for 10 minutes." Often, I ignore this voice.


I am not listening.

I am choosing to stay disconnected.

Sound familiar? Does that still small voice inside ever beckon you to venture outdoors? Perhaps you've shut that desire down so much that you don't even hear it anymore.

Let's get it back.

Let's step outside more, connect our feet to the earth, breath in the sweet air, clear our minds and open to nature. Let's welcome in the present moment and celebrate the beauty that is all around us.

I am ready to listen. I am ready to venture out more into this beautiful world and absorb the healing beauty of nature.

Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment